Monday, June 29, 2015

BREE NEWSOME SPEAKS

Feeling rebloggy

"I began my activism by participating in the Moral Monday movement, fighting to restore voting rights in North Carolina after the Supreme Court struck down key protections of the 1965 Voting Rights Act.


I traveled down to Florida where the Dream Defenders were demanding justice for Trayvon Martin, who reminded me of a modern-day Emmett Till.

I marched with the Ohio Students Association as they demanded justice for victims of police brutality.

I watched in horror as black Americans were tear-gassed in their own neighborhoods in Ferguson, MO. “Reminds me of the Klan,” my grandmother said as we watched the news together. "
- Blue Nation Review


Read more: http://bluenationreview.com/exclusive-bree-newsome-speaks-for-the-first-time-after-courageous-act-of-civil-disobedience/#ixzz3eUzBHsHg

Bree Newsome & James Stone 

Police said Newsome, 30, was arrested and charged with defacing monuments on state capitol grounds, a misdemeanor. James Ian Dyson, who spotted for Newsome while she made her climb, was also arrested and faces the same charge. The pair, both from North Carolina, were taken to a detention center, police said.
The charges is a misdemeanor with a possible punishment of up to three years in prison or a fine up to $5,000 or both.
Newsome and Dyson were later released after posting $3,000 bail.



http://heavy.com/news/2015/06/bree-newsome-woman-takes-down-confederate-flag-charleston-south-carolina-name-arrested-charges-photo-video-musician-activist-james-dyson-freebree/

No comments:

Post a Comment