Sunday, October 25, 2015

GROWING UP FIASCO

Since I heard the song "Bad Bitch," I've been thinking Lupe Fiasco might one day grow into being worth of the identity, "Black Male Feminist"

On my own, I couldn't quite put my finger on exactly how at least a piece of what he was singing was the same-ole, same-ole victim blaming while some of what he was saying seemed quite right.

The writer of the article below hits the nail on the head in such a way that you can see how very much alike racism and sexism are in addition to the things that Lupe gets right.

The song is about getting and giving respect and self respect.If you don't feel like listening to the video, here is a core lyric of the song -

"Bitch bad. Woman good. Lady better."






The writer below describes the difference between what Lupe thinks he's singing about and what he's actually singing about.

"I want respect. Hell, I command respect. But I don’t want to return to respectability politics. The distinction is important. Respectability politics might seem better in the short run, but in the long run they aren’t best.

We can place a high value on receiving and giving respect in our interpersonal interactions, without falling into the trap of  believing that changing our behaviors will have the power to transform a system that actively works against us......we [can't] lose sight of those who have more power to change things than we do.

Men have some power.  They are not hapless victims of less-than-thoughtful mothers and confused, non-self-respecting schoolgirls. As corporations go, male rappers are Davids fighting Goliaths. But at least David saw himself as having a stake in the fight.


Clearly, so does Lupe."

- Crunk Feminist Collective


You can read more of the article below. In the meantime, know that I expect more out of Lupe Fiasco one day.

I have a feeling there will be stumbles and disappointments. But he's thinking, He feels things for black women that don't strictly involve how they reflect on and are accessories to black men. The song feels like concern for black women for black women's sake. I might turn out to be wrong. But I feel like he's thinking and feeling at once, like he's capable of making an effort that will empower us all.

We need a lot more black men like him...I hope.


Yes, I expect more out of him one day.  I only see a hint of something. But I expect Frederick Douglass type thinking. I expect W.E.B. DuBois type thinking.  I expect he will be worthy of the identity "Black Male Feminist" too when he finishes growing. 

READ MORE ON THE CONTRADICTION OF LOVING HIP HOP and LUPE'S GROWTH http://www.crunkfeministcollective.com/2012/06/27/thoughts-on-lupes-bitch-bad/

No comments:

Post a Comment