Saturday, October 17, 2015

I'LL BE HERE WHEN THEY COME FOR ME

Feeling Rebloggy
Can I step into my vulnerability for a minute? 

In the struggle to fight for the freedom of all, I must admit that I get scared.



I get scared that [many] white folks will never understand, thus they will never do, speak or listen better. I get scared that many black men will continue to march for each other, stepping on black women’s mouths and backs in the process. I get scared that many of my people will forever remain complacent. I get scared that for every person committed to learning and doing better, there’s more people committed to not caring at all and bashing those who do. I get scared that feminism will run people away when it’s meant to bring everyone together....

Fear hemmed me up when I learned of an Afghan family forcing their daughter to marry her rapist and father of her children. I felt the scratch of its callous-ridden hands around my neck again when only a spoonful of people showed up to the vigil held for Rekia Boyd, the black girl killed when a police detective let off 5 shots into a group.
~ The Color Lilac


READ MORE

No comments:

Post a Comment