Tuesday, December 29, 2015

PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER SAYS DON'T BLAME MY KIDS FOR SOCIETY'S ILLS

Today’s children have it harder than children of the ‘70s and ‘80s did when we were their age!

Much harder!



For one thing, we didn’t have high stakes standardized tests hanging over our heads like the Sword of Damocles to the degree these youngsters do. Sure we took standardized assessments but not nearly as many nor did any of them mean as much. In Pennsylvania, the legislature is threatening to withhold my students’ diplomas if they don’t pass all of their Keystone Exams. No one blackmailed me with anything like that when I was a middle schooler. All I had to do was pass my classes. I worried about getting a high score on the SAT to get into college, but it didn’t affect whether I got to graduate.

Nowadays, kids could ace every course for all 13-years of grade school (counting Kindergarten) and still conceivably only earn a certificate of attendance! Try using that for anything!


Moreover, my teachers back in the day didn’t rely on me so they could continue being gainfully employed. The principal would evaluate them based on classroom observations from time-to-time to assess their effectiveness based on what he or she saw them doing. But if I was having a bad day during the assessment or if I just couldn’t grasp fractions or if I was feeling too depressed to concentrate – none of that would affect my teacher’s job rating. None of it would contribute to whether my teacher still had an income.

Think of how that changes the student-teacher relationship Now kids as early as elementary school who love their teachers feel guilty on test day if they don’t understand...

TRULY SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
READ MORE:
https://gadflyonthewallblog.wordpress.com/2015/12/22/dont-blame-my-students-for-societys-ills/

No comments:

Post a Comment