Labels

Black Lives Matter (136) Politics (97) white supremacy in politics (88) Black Entertainment (78) black history (77) Racism in politics (74) white supremacy (66) Racism (40) Black Women Matter (38) police brutality (38) President Obama (31) white racism (31) Black Women Rock (29) Black Women (27) Colorism (27) Black Feminists Rock (25) quotes (21) Black Children (20) Black History Being Made Now (20) Black Herstory (19) Entertainment (18) black unarmed and dead (18) All Black Lives Matter (17) black lives matter victory (17) Comedy (15) African American Women (14) Rape Culture (13) Say Her Name (13) Anti-Racism Victory (12) Black Web Series (12) Black Feminists (11) Police Murder (11) Police White Supremacy (11) Race (11) Sexism in Politics (11) White Privilege (11) African American (10) Anti-racism (10) victory (9) black dead and unarmed (8) Black Artists (7) Toxic Masculinity (7) poetry (7) white entitlement (7) white supremacy in mainstream news (7) Barack and Michelle (6) Black Edutainment (6) Black Men For Black Women (6) Environmental Racism (6) Light Skinned Privilege (6) Protest Works (6) Sexism (6) internalized racism (6) white racial apology (6) Ackee & Saltfish (5) Art (5) Black Folks International (5) Cecile Emeke (5) Cultural Appropriation (5) Music (5) Stop Whitewashing History (5) black men (5) feminism (5) white fragility (5) Black Female Patriarchy (4) Gun Control (4) People Of Color On The Rise (4) Supreme Court (4) hate crimes (4) religion (4) African American Men (3) CHEAP AND EASY HISTORY (3) Feminists Rock This World (3) History (3) Michelle Obama (3) Patriarchy Matters (3) Vote (3) Wisdom (3) racism without racists (3) terrorism (3) white on white crime (3) American Masculinity (2) Obama Speech (2) Racism Abroad (2) Slave Master Mentality (2) War on Terror (2) internalized sexism (2) poverty (2) white supremacy world wide (2) Black Children Rise (1) CINO (1) Products For Black Women (1) racial bias (1)

Sunday, March 13, 2016

AVA DuVERNAY ON THE ATTENTION YOU PAY TO YOUR INTENTION

AVA SPEAKS
ON LIFE LESSONS LEARNED
OVER THE COURSE OF 
HER SUCCESSES

During the creation of her first film was "I Will Follow" 


...On the opening day of "I Will Follow"...then the film went on and it did well and it built autonomy and independence and community and it set up AFFRM (black distribution collective) in way that I intended....And it was all about distributing films in  that moment for me, and proviing our model, and our worth as black film makers, and proving myself

And I gave my intention every ounce of my attention...and it was a beautiful day


I felt like I achieved my intention

But later I saw my error
During the creation of her second film was "Middle Of Nowhere"

All I was thinking about was Sundance...We won an award...The film was launched into the world...

I felt like I achieved my intention
But later I saw my error...



Her worth was outside of herself. 

She never felt better than when she was celebrating her successes, when she crossed her self defined finish lines, but that high feeling didn't last. 

She realized that her intention was misplaced.




SELMA

So she went into Selma with a totally different mindset


Hear More: