Sunday, March 13, 2016

AVA DuVERNAY ON THE ATTENTION YOU PAY TO YOUR INTENTION

AVA SPEAKS
ON LIFE LESSONS LEARNED
OVER THE COURSE OF 
HER SUCCESSES

During the creation of her first film was "I Will Follow" 


...On the opening day of "I Will Follow"...then the film went on and it did well and it built autonomy and independence and community and it set up AFFRM (black distribution collective) in way that I intended....And it was all about distributing films in  that moment for me, and proviing our model, and our worth as black film makers, and proving myself

And I gave my intention every ounce of my attention...and it was a beautiful day


I felt like I achieved my intention

But later I saw my error
During the creation of her second film was "Middle Of Nowhere"

All I was thinking about was Sundance...We won an award...The film was launched into the world...

I felt like I achieved my intention
But later I saw my error...



Her worth was outside of herself. 

She never felt better than when she was celebrating her successes, when she crossed her self defined finish lines, but that high feeling didn't last. 

She realized that her intention was misplaced.




SELMA

So she went into Selma with a totally different mindset


Hear More:


No comments:

Post a Comment