Friday, April 29, 2016

I WAS SOME DADDY, A SCENE FROM SOUTH CENTRAL


A repost


Actor: Carl Lumbly
of "South Central"





The clip below reminded me, somewhat, of my brother with my father. For a long time I've thought that we, as black people, think often about being too lax with children but not enough about being too harsh. 


I don't know that our community, generally speaking, reflects enough on how being over-controlling,

- due to fears of what white people will do to children -- even post slavery, even without cops present,
- due to fears of a child not "being manly enough" or "not being feminine enough" in a traditional, hard gender role sense, play in bad parental decision making. 



In this scene, a man reflects on how 
his own rigidity 
mistaken for true love 
had had consequences for his son. 




No comments:

Post a Comment