Wednesday, May 18, 2016

WHY DID SYMONE MARSHALL DIE IN A TEXAS JAIL AFTER HER CAR FLIPPED OVER?



"Symone Nicole Marshall, according to her family, was in a brutal car accident on April 26 in which her car flipped over several times before landing in a ditch. Instead of being taken to the hospital, though, she was taken to the Walker County Jail in Huntsville, Tex., about an hour north of Houston."
~Shaun King





"They told me she's seen the doctor at the jail," Honey Marshall said. "I told them she needs to go to a real hospital."


On May 10, [2016] just weeks after being arrested, Symone Marshall suffered a seizure and, according to prison officials, was rushed to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.





The Root



In what scenario, when you're white, do you not get taken to a hospital after your car flips over?

Speeding?

I say you get taken to a hospital if you're white.

Meth high?

I say you get taken to a hospital if you're white.

Drunk?

I say you get taken to a hospital if you're white, even if you ran over a white child just before your car flipped over. (Sandy Hook has proven white children don't matter THAT much either)

But maybe it's just me.

Not only do I want to know the circumstances of Symone's going off the road. I want to know what happened to white people who were wild and mild car accidents for the last 3 to 5 years.

Just call me curious.

Symone might have died anyway. Whatever happened to her might not have been caught at a hospital if she died weeks later. But a hospital would have given her, at 22 years of age, the best chance for being alive right now. When people see you as fully human they take you to a hospital. But when white people do not see you as fully human, historically, they haven't taken us, people of color, to a hospital.

Is this more same ole, same ole? If so, can somebody do something about it. This is 2016. What excuse can they possibly have for not taking this woman to a hospital?

I almost hope some facts are missing. I almost hope somebody took her to a hospital and forgot to write it down where it's supposed to be -- and everybody's missed it so far because I am questioning the humanity of the officers involved and the humanity within the police system itself...again.


I am trying to imagine what a car that has flipped over several times looks like. And now I'm  adding another layer of imagination, trying to imagine my worst enemy in the wreckage, looking none the worse for wear but having more than a 5th grade education, wondering about internal injuries. I'm wondering how I could tell myself NOT to take my worst enemy to an actual hospital for all the tests possible.

I don't have that much imagination.

I need more information. I hope you do too. 

1 comment:

  1. This is 2021, 5 years later and your questions are still relevant.

    ReplyDelete