Tuesday, June 14, 2016

OTHER-ING AND COLORISM FOR BLACK WOMEN IN COLOMBIA


Feeling Rebloggy
Since I moved abroad to Colombia last March, I’ve adapted to a plethora of cultural differences; from the intricacies of hailing a Taxi to the faux pas of turning down food. Though there are many aspects of life in the South American nation that I absolutely admire and enjoy, one thing that has yet to sit well with me is being addressed by skin tone...



Currently living in the capital of Bogota, each day I leave my house to go to work or run errands, I’m guaranteed to be greeted at least once as "morena" and every now and again as "negrita."

Read More of







As a brown-skinned person your complexion is casually tossed out in salutations and interactions in a way that affirms your appearance is seen as “other” in the Eurocentric standards of Colombian society.


And although there are terms Andsuch as "blanca" and "rubia" used to describe very light-skinned or white people, I have yet to hear anyone who fits the bill be greeted as such...















I'm looking for a single link for racial categories in Colombia. But here's a racial scattergories article on Brazil so you can get an idea of method by which race (and racism) is convoluted and thereby e-raced in some South American countries.
https://blackwomenofbrazil.co/2011/11/20/racial-classification-and-terminology-in-brazil/

No comments:

Post a Comment