Friday, September 2, 2016

WHEN "TOO MANY" ASIANS CAUSE WHITE FLIGHT

Feeling Rebloggy
One blustery winter morning, I tour a preschool for my then-youngest child. The director, a petite woman with light brown hair, greets me warmly in the foyer, hands me a pamphlet describing the classes, the curriculum, the school’s philosophy. At the end of the tour, she asks if I have any questions. I shake my head, thank her for her time, and open the glass door to the parking lot when she calls out in a cautionary tone: “This area has changed quite a bit in the past few years. It’s really, really different.”

I’ve heavily researched this suburban dream of a town, analyzed pertinent school and safety statistics. Her hesitation doesn’t reflect the fruits of my labor.

“How so?” I ask.

Her lips disappear into a thin line. “It’s just, you know, changed.”

Over the next nine years, I have front row seats to a white exodus from Johns Creek, a suburb located 25 miles outside of Atlanta. The majority of these white families do not relocate closer to Atlanta or to jobs elsewhere in the metro area. They move across a newly expanded four-lane road to the adjacent northern county, Forsyth, a stone’s throw from their former domiciles.





Article Title

Ghosts of White People Past: Witnessing White Flight From an Asian Ethnoburb



Read More: https://psmag.com/ghosts-of-white-people-past-witnessing-white-flight-from-an-asian-ethnoburb-b550ba986cdb?gi=5a1f526f2ea9#.1050tr4ti

No comments:

Post a Comment