Saturday, October 15, 2016

DR TAMIKA CROSS AND THE DELTA FLIGHT ATTENDANT WHO WOULDN'T LET HER HELP A SICK PASSENGER

"Dr. Tamika Cross, an OBGYN resident at Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital in Houston, wrote in a Facebook post that she was on a flight from Detroit last week when someone two rows ahead her of starting screaming for help...
[This] black doctor has accused Delta Air Lines of discrimination after a flight attendant allegedly shooed her away from a passenger in need of medical attention and said "actual physicians" were needed."  


~NBCNEWS.COM 


I heard about this story a few days ago.

It caught my attention because I had an experience on Delta that was just nasty enough that I never ride with them if I can help it.   




My incident was small, minuscule even.

The white female flight attendants were just nasty to me in subtle ways every time they spoke to me. I finally wound up barking a sarcastic remark back at one of them just so I could go to the bathroom -- made the people near me laugh at her. She backed off. But I remember the incident, if not her face or name. I remember all their southern twangs, sweet smiles until there was that nasty biting tone.
You know what? It's amazing how I remember a racial incident every single time I read someone else's story. Until I started writing my blog I didn't realize I'd had sooo many little personal interactions that involve white supremacy and/or white racism.

I think most black and brown people are probably absorbing, trying to ignore, white supremacy incidents daily. So I guess I ought to be glad these kinds of incidents don't stay ever present in my mind. The PTSD wouldn't allow me to function.

Anyway...

As you read the rest of the story below at the link below, think about how circumstances being slightly different might have killed that passenger. Try to think about just how often white racism against black and brown people has the potential to kill white people directly. 

And it probably has.

No comments:

Post a Comment