Labels

Black Lives Matter (141) Politics (108) white supremacy in politics (100) Black Entertainment (85) black history (80) Racism in politics (78) white supremacy (76) Black Women Matter (40) Racism (40) police brutality (38) Black Feminists Rock (31) Black Women Rock (31) President Obama (31) white racism (31) Black Women (28) Colorism (28) Rape Culture (25) Black Children (23) quotes (23) Black Herstory (21) Black History Being Made Now (21) All Black Lives Matter (18) Entertainment (18) Toxic Masculinity (18) black unarmed and dead (18) black lives matter victory (17) Comedy (15) victory (15) African American Women (14) Sexism in Politics (14) Anti-Racism Victory (13) Say Her Name (13) Black Feminists (12) Black Web Series (12) Police Murder (12) Police White Supremacy (11) Race (11) White Privilege (11) African American (10) Anti-racism (10) poetry (10) white supremacy in mainstream news (10) black dead and unarmed (8) Black Artists (7) Light Skinned Privilege (7) Protest Works (7) internalized racism (7) white entitlement (7) Barack and Michelle (6) Black Edutainment (6) Black Folks International (6) Black Men For Black Women (6) Environmental Racism (6) Sexism (6) Stop Whitewashing History (6) black men (6) white racial apology (6) Ackee & Saltfish (5) Art (5) Black Female Patriarchy (5) Cecile Emeke (5) Cultural Appropriation (5) Gun Control (5) Music (5) feminism (5) white fragility (5) People Of Color On The Rise (4) Supreme Court (4) hate crimes (4) religion (4) African American Men (3) CHEAP AND EASY HISTORY (3) Feminists Rock This World (3) History (3) Michelle Obama (3) Patriarchy Matters (3) Vote (3) Wisdom (3) racism without racists (3) terrorism (3) white on white crime (3) American Masculinity (2) Obama Speech (2) Racism Abroad (2) Slave Master Mentality (2) War on Terror (2) internalized sexism (2) poverty (2) white supremacy world wide (2) Black Children Rise (1) CINO (1) Products For Black Women (1) racial bias (1)

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

MICHELLE OBAMA, THE DIVA OF BLACK GIRL MAGIC, ON HER BIRTHDAY

Feeling Rebloggy




* * * * * *
EXCERPT FROM HER FLOTUS BLACK GIRLS ROCK SPEECH:

When I was a girl, I had parents that loved and believed in me, but those doubts still worked their way into my head. and I was always worried about something. Does my hair look right? Am I too tall? Do I raise my hand too much in class? So when folks said a girl like me shouldn’t aspire to go to the very best colleges in the country I thought ‘Maybe they’re right.’

But eventually I learned that each of those doubts were like a little test … that I could either shrink away from or rise up to meet and I decided to rise.
Yes, I decided to rewrite those tired old scripts that define too many of us. I decided that I wasn’t bossy, I was confident and strong. I wasn’t loud, I was a young woman with something important to say and when I looked in the mirror I say a tall, beautiful and smart black girl. … and that’s what I want for you, I want you to live life on your own terms. … but anyone who’s achieved anything in life knows that challenges and failures are necessary components of success. They know that when things get hard, that’s not always a sign that you’re doing some thing wrong, that’s often a sign that you’re doing something right. Those hard times are what shape you into the person you’re meant to be.