Saturday, August 19, 2017

DICK GREGORY DIES AT 84

HE WAS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN ICON. 


Though I hope he missed Charlottesville altogether. If he did see Charlottesville I hope he watched a lot more white folks show up for the fight. More importantly,  I hope he watched Trump set his own butt on fire this week. I've been laughing at Trump for days.

I hope Mr. Gregory got a chance to do that too if he had to know about Charlottesville at all.

My grandmothers died a couple of years ago. I was glad they got to see Barack Obama become president. But I'm so fearful the old folks in my family will die with Orange Twitterb*tch in office. I don't want them to die thinking we're going to lose ground all the way back to the 1950s.

I know they won't hang onto it when they pass. But I don't want them to be troubled by the news or the troubles of younger relatives who are worried now.


Mostly, I hope Dick Gregory's last days were peaceful and he didn't see Charlottesville at all. I hope he went peacefully. It seems like he deserved that. He lived a brave life.


From MSN

Mr. Gregory was a breakthrough performer in his appeal to whites — a crossover star, in contrast to veteran black comedians like Redd Foxx, Moms Mabley and Slappy White, whose earthy, pungent humor was mainly confined to black clubs on the so-called chitlin circuit.
Though he clearly seethed over the repression of blacks, he resorted to neither scoldings nor lectures when playing big-time rooms like the Hungry I in San Francisco or the Village Gate in New York. Rather, he won audiences over with wry observations about the country’s racial chasm.
He would plant himself on a stool, the picture of insouciance in a three-button suit and dark tie, dragging slowly on a cigarette, which he used as a punctuation mark. From that perch he would bid America to look in the mirror, and to laugh at itself.
“Segregation is not all bad,” he would say. “Have you ever heard of a collision where the people in the back of the bus got hurt?” Or: “You know the definition of a Southern moderate? That’s a cat that’ll lynch you from a low tree.” Or: “I heard we’ve got lots of black astronauts. Saving them for the first spaceflight to the sun.”
Read More: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dick-gregory-84-dies-found-humor-in-the-civil-rights-struggle/ar-AAqnhgc?li=BBnbcA1 


As he got older, he spoke, did interviews. He was an awesome speaker

No comments:

Post a Comment