Friday, November 10, 2017

LOUIS C.K. GIVES MORE THAN AN APOLOGY FOR SEXUAL HARASSMENT

A day or so ago, the comedian Louis C.K. was accused of sexual harassment by five women. Several of his television and movies projects are now on hold.

Racially speaking, somebody told me there are reasons to dislike Louis C.K. But I don't know this comedian's work at all for myself. So I will not defend him no matter what I like or dislike about his response to these accusations.


But I want to acknowledge that he is the first sexual blackmailer to come forward, apologize, and at least SOMEWHAT realize that blackmail is pretty much what he did to these 5 women....even though he didn't use the word "blackmail."

Louis C.K.'s response



    "These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true," he wrote. "But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn't a question. It's a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly."
    Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/10/entertainment/louis-ck-apology/index.html 

    Except for the rapists, and maybe even some of them as statute of limitations are short in may states, this sexual harassment storm is going to blow over. However, I predict that Louis C.K's career will recover the fastest. 

    That is the objective, of course. It will work if he's not lying.  Apparently, that's a big if right now.

    In any case, I'm hoping against hope that there's bigger, better dialogue about the blackmail aspect of sexual harassment to come. 


    Right now there's too much focus on what "these poor women have gone through" I'm like...."whatever" as far as the straight harassment, no assault portion goes. I want to move the conversation on....before the subject gets worn out and people move on. 

    We need to talk about what the repercussions will be for sexual harassment...and I mean punishment for "harassment," punishment that takes place before we get to hands-on "sexual assault" 

    I just read an article that was written within the last few days that looks like it's from 1970. It speaks about how zero tolerance for sexual harassment is really bad for women....because men are afraid to say things like "nice dress" and women are afraid to complain about a hand too often on her elbow for fear the man will be fired. 


    You know these same kinds of ridiculous excuses were put forth for why white and black people couldn't work together in the same spaces, right? White people were (are) afraid of zero-tolerance policies for racism too. 


    Men are going to have to learn what mutual respect looks like even when you're talking to a woman and how to never ask a woman WHO WORKS FOR YOU, WHO YOU HAVE POWER OVER for sex or a date. 

    And I'm sure people aren't so silly as to punish level 1 maybe-harassment at same level as you would level 10 ForSure-harassment, even with a "zero tolerance policy. 

    Women with power appear to know how to navigate a business world filled with the opposite sex sans harassment, as indicated by how few women have been caught up in the Hollywood Sexual Harassment Scandal. Men aren't too stupid to figure this out too. 

    Men can be men without sexually harassing women same as white people can white without racially harassing black and brown people.



    BLACKCHICKROCKED.BLOGSPOT.COM

    No comments:

    Post a Comment