Thursday, November 9, 2017

TRACEE ELLIS ROSS ON PLAYING A FEMINIST ON BLACK-ISH

Tracee Ellis Ross is ‘Confused’ by People Who Don’t Like the Word Feminist


In an interview with NY Mag, the Black-ish star admits that she herself didn’t completely grasp the word when she was younger. “I think I had a sort of peripheral relationship to it. Everyone thought feminism was a dirty word, and I never really understood why.” 
She now understands the title best from Gloria Steinem’s definition. “It means you believe in the equality for everyone. If you look back at what I believe and what I stand for, I am certainly a proud feminist.”
Ross reveals that her Black-ish character Rainbow Johnson is also a feminist as displayed in an opening scene when Johnson’s husband asks if his gay sister will take her fiancĂ©e’s name. “I say, ‘Why does it matter? I didn’t take yours.’ He says, ‘What do you mean?’ and I say, ‘What are you talking about? I’m a feminist.’ So we state that ‘Bow is a feminist,' and from there it was very interesting, some of the things that were written,” says Ross.

No comments:

Post a Comment