Saturday, December 23, 2017

Did Oprah Sell Us Out To The DISCOVERY CHANNEL?

This is a continuation from yesterday's post

People don't get rich by accident. 

I keep reminding myself of that whenever I hear Oprah speak, talking all that yakety-yak about being true to yourself.



I keep having to remind myself that friendly, soft-looking, kinda-Mammy -inviting-to-white-folk -looking* Oprah may be more committed to increasing her wealth than anything else, except maybe keeping her face on camera.

Don't get me wrong. She does do things for black folks and black images. She tries. And I know she'll never make everybody happy. But I'm saying I THINK I SEE that bolstering black women is not always out front for her.

She's only given a careful kind of mealy-mouthed commitment to being a feminist. HER, of all people. Some black women are afraid of the f-label making people think that certain  (white female) stereotypes apply to them. However, these same black women are not afraid of the stereotypes that will be assigned to them if they identify with Black Lives Matter.

Putting a big crazyy grin on my face as I say this but....


Ha ha ha....That double standard is kinda hypocritcal don't ya think?   Ha...ha...HAAA...ha. More than one person I TRULY ADMIRE indulges in this weak-minded ridiculousness

I'm just saying....
Anyway.

Back to Oprah....

I have never quite forgiven her for backing down when her white audience at the Oprah Show started tearing her a new one for being pro-President Obama. 

Yes she was deliberately a-political prior to that point in time. But Barack Obama was the FIRST BLACK PRESIDENTIAL HOPEFUL with a real shot at getting into the White House. When her white audience complained, Oprah shut up about Barack Obama until after he was elected. 
A friend of mine said at the time said Oprah had a "Yea! I can be black again' episode" immediately after President Obama won the election. 

I'll never forget her pulling in her blackness like that. Maybe the network made her. But she should have said so because that was ugly and hurtful. If she wasn't forced to then shame on her. She had more money than anybody could spend in 20 lifetimes even back then. 

She didn't need white approval in that moment. She was beyond that. Or maybe it's just that she doesn't need black approval or black high regard either. 

I turned Oprah's show off completely --before she retired-- when she did a show on affordable make-up and it turned out that not one of the lipstick shades was dark enough for me on its own without a serious dark brown lip liner

And her magazine? The images of women are not brown enough for me. It doesn't have to be a black magazine, based on how she built her "interracial career" But it's not brown ENOUGH

I hate to temporarily move into the who-is-really-black zone for this post. But Oprah always bears watching. Sorry. I'm simply not at all sure that Oprah didn't just sell black women out to the DISCOVERY CHANNEL for her own gain and nothing else. 
BLACKCHICKROCKED.BLOGSPOT.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment