Saturday, December 23, 2017

DISCOVERY CHANNEL now owns a majority stake of OWN

The first question that entered my mind as I read this headline was this:
Would QUEEN SUGAR have made it to OWN if Oprah hadn't been there and helped grow it from a seedling with Ava DuVernay? 


That is, if white men and women at DISCOVERY CHANNEL had been the ones deciding what black women wanted to watch two years ago would we have seen QUEEN SUGAR at all?

And if QUEEN SUGAR had gotten a shot at having a first season, isn't it possible that QUEEN SUGAR might have gone the way of UNDERGROUND, which WGN America cancelled before it got its feet under itself good.

Black women are watching and loving QUEEN SUGAR. And I'm not sure it has any white audience at all, truthfully.  OWN only got more thoroughly black and female in the last few years.

And she's half way abandoning it already? So she can do a stint on 60 minutes or something. Really? Does she miss being on television that much? Good grief I'm so disappointed in this decision...and I'm not even absolutely sure there's something to be upset about.

But I felt secure with black female control of OWN

...even if she did unwittingly support Lee "Uncle Ruckus" Daniels into having a real Hollywood career. 
They say Oprah is retaining some sort of control over OWN for at least the next eight years. Whatever. Oprah is not going to live forever. I was hoping against hope that she was going to leave her baby, OWN, in mostly black hands.* 

Honestly though? I wanna know.

Is this sale about money?

Does OWN need more money to grow?

Does OWN need to grow?

In the United States a business is nothing if it's not growing. Capitalistic greed is everything here. Staying in one place and doing well for a community is not...a thing...here in the U.S.

I HAD VISIONS

I HAD VISIONS FOR OWN

I had visions of black female directors with black female content full of black female characters that were not almost exclusively the shade of a paper bag or paler -- as new black male directors love to do-- flooding into OWN more and more and more every year. 

Gahtdamnit.  Everytime I think I can trust Oprah a little more....RUG YANK.


AAAAUUUUGGGH!!!

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I love QUEEN SUGAR and I'm protective of everything around it -- even when I get upset about what's happening in the story line.

QUEEN SUGAR: THE MORE FEMALE THE BERRY THE BLACKER THE JUICE



Well, I hope she keeps creative control and kept some sort of stipulation about how black FEMALE control will be maintained over OWN. I hope she put something about this in her will too.

My dreams for Oprah using her power this way or that way is unrealistic sometimes. But I am not so sure this fits in the unrealistic expectation zone. 

Read More: https://shadowandact.com/discovery-buys-majority-stake-in-own-from-oprah-winfrey-extending-her-exclusivity-commitment-to-2025?

No comments:

Post a Comment