Monday, December 28, 2015

NO INDICTMENT IN TAMIR RICE CASE


I fully expected there would be no indictment. The child just having a gun was enough for the cop to say "I was scared" and walk. We've seen cops be scared of cigarettes go buck wild during a traffic stop and keep their job.
"...it is now indisputable that Tamir was drawing his gun from his waist as the police car slid toward him and Officer Loehmann exited the car." ~ McGinty
Read More: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/12/28/461293703/grand-jury-declines-to-indict-police-officers-in-tamir-rice-investigation
Did you see that in the video? Did you see Rice reaching for his gun?  I didn't. And I'll bet I won't when we get to see the enhancement too. The power of suggestion is strong when you are white and the person at the wrong end of the bullet is black.


More important than anything though? If it had been a white child shot, the officer's shooting before he had time to determine a damn thing would have led to indictment even if didn't lead to jail.I think the only thing that mattered in the moment that Tamir Rice was shot was that Tamir Rice was black and maybe moved his hands toward his own body. There was no sudden surprising shoot out at the O.K. Corral between two grown men. A man got out of the car and shot a person in black skin, a boy, within seconds of seeing him. 

No indictment is what I braced myself to expect once it was disclosed that the boy had a gun within 100 feet of his person. I knew the system would be telling us that black lives don't matter yet again. So I'm not outraged. But I am tired.

Big decision between big holidays again too - minimizing the likelihood of protests once more.

We've got to find a way to make the grand jury process public. White people, all people, do things in the dark that they won't in the light. 






I can only hope that this is enough basis for the family to sue the city of Cleveland into bankruptcy



READ MORE: http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/01/timothy_loehmann_the_cleveland.html

No comments:

Post a Comment