Thursday, June 11, 2015

RACHEL DOLEZAL NAACP PRESIDENT LIED ABOUT BEING AFRICAN AMERICAN?

AND HER PARENTS PROVIDED A CHILDHOOD PICTURE OF RACHAEL DOLEZEL AS A BLOND, LANK HAIRED WHITE GIRL TO PROVE IT.
When I first read this story, I almost felt like I'd fallen into an alternate universe. Anyway... In the video, ,Dolezal did NOT say my father is mixed race from way back when, but passed as white. She also did NOT say something like 'I decided to acknowledge my African American Roots' She got that *deer caught in the headlights* look then implied she was confused when there was nothing to be confused about.

Looks to me like she straight up lied.
So did Dolezal lie to get her first NAACP job? When, how, and why did she change her hair? I am especially interested in the when and the why of her changing the hair. Isn't hiding the hair texture (or lack thereof) the equivalent of black-face? I don't know if I care about how much good she's been doing. I imagine somebody else, black or white, who hasn't told so fundamental a lie might have done just as good a job. If she deliberately deceived people about something so basic as the social construct of her race, that's a problem. She changed her hair so as to fool the eyes. She said she was African American so she could fool the ears. And wearing blackness as a costume, for any reason, is a problem in my opinion. White people can be NAACP Chapter Presidents. They have been before. In the early 20th century, I think NAACP Presidents were predominantly white. I know white people were predominantly influential in the NAACP, even more so than blacks - and that was a major problem. However in 2013, Jeff Blanck, who is openly white, became NAACP Chapter President in Reno, Nevada. So she could have been openly white AND a NAACP Chapter president. Maybe less likely, but you still don't get to cheat your way into a job by changing your look to fool people. I guess her friends, co-workers, and people she's helped will be the final judge of whether or not she stays in the organization. But I'd hate to see this become a trend because everything in me says, "This is unacceptable."
CHILDHOOD PICTURE & READ MORE
http://www.inlander.com/Bloglander/archives/2015/06/11/media-firestorm-swirls-around-rachel-dolezal-the-local-naacp-president


Pssst!!!!  I never ever thought I'd use the phrase "openly white"

No comments:

Post a Comment