Friday, June 12, 2015

WHEN I SAY "BLACK LIVES MATTER" I MEAN "ALL OF US"


feeling rebloggy

Black Feminism and Womanism Have Always Been Crucial to Anti-Racist Work


article from For Harriett




    
a for Harriett contributer, leading the way

feeling rebloggy
When I say “Black Lives Matter,” I mean all of us. I mean Black women too, and not just the women who happen to be straight or cisgender. I sense an anti-feminist stance from men, and particularly from the men who proclaim to be “
Pro-Black.” When women bring banners with the names of Black women and girls who have been killed by state-sanctioned violence to protests, we are accused of “making this about us.” I’m beginning to believe that those who are against Black feminist politics are only interested in strong women when we are strong for the sake of men...Black feminism is, and has always been, a way of resisting and critiquing power....


One of my former students told me that Rosa Parks was, “Dr. King’s assistant who sat down for him.” Sadly, this is not too far from the history we circulate as adults... not many of us know that she [first] investigated rapes of Black women. It’s logical. Why wouldn’t the same woman who resisted white supremacy also take particular interest in the welfare of her sisters? 


Read more: http://www.forharriet.com/2015/02/black-feminism-and-womanism-are-crucial.html#ixzz3bjzkXecr 
Follow us: @ForHarriet on Twitter | forharriet on Facebook





http://www.forharriet.com/2015/02/black-feminism-and-womanism-are-crucial.html#axzz3bjxbTHqk

No comments:

Post a Comment