SPEECH TO THE NAACP
"I would not be here, and so many others would not be here if it were not for the NAACP"
Video (below) Speech Points
1) The numbers of the men and women in prison have quadrupled since 1980
2) Black and Latinx people are highly over-represented in arrests, jails, and get higher sentences for the same crimes (as white people)
3) Early years of under policing in black community. Attitude of containment in segregated society
4) Police to be congratulated on violent crime going down due to tougher policing, but diminishing returns after a point
5) Diminishing Returns = Arresting Non-violent Drug Offenders for longer and longer periods of time.
6) Possible ways to spend the money we could save by not incarcerating non-violent drug offenders
7) Bi-Partisan support for Criminal Justice Reform THIS YEAR in the Senate.
8) What should happen in the - Community - Courtroom - Cell Block
9) Criminal Justice System Effects On Community: Gutting of the community by taking away mothers and fathers. Disparate Treatment of children - Call parents and PTA Meetings for some problem children and call the police for others.
10) President Obama will be the first president to speak at a Federal Prison on Thursday
11) Prison Conditions In A Civilized Society
12) Prisoners should be able to vote at some point after they re-enter to society.
13) Love, Justice, and Redemption
Video is 45 minutes