Sunday, February 18, 2018

ISSA RAE: DON'T JUMP AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY PRESENTED

Feeling Rebloggy

ISSA RAE'S 10 RULES FOR SUCCESS

ISSA RAE: INTERNET SERIES STAR AND PRODUCER  ("Awkward Black Girl," "First")
TO HBO STAR AND PRODUCER ("Insecure")

RULE #8

Stop trying to be someone you're not
Stop trying so hard period
You don't have to

I remember constantly feeling like i wasn't...I wasn't...I wasn't what was expected of me.  And a lot of that had to do with my skin color

It feels so stupid but


...it had to do with Not feeling black enough
...like I wasn't the right kind of black, 
...like I wasn't cool enough 
...like I wasn't fun enough
...like i wasn't...I just wasn't good enough

OR

What was being painted of me. just even on television and music
And that was really disheartening

And I would tell me my younger self now... Embrace who you are now. 

You don't need to be that
Embrace who are now
Embrace how you're different


This particular TOP 10 RULES FOR SUCCESS is filmed in a choppy way. It could be the people who made the video didn't have as many sources as usual since she's new on the scene. 

But I love listening to Issa Rae because she's an AWKWARD BLACK GIRL that is the most like ME. 


So I listened to it. And I'm glad I listened to it. When she's talking about personal experiences, telling stories, she's a natural, she's funny, and you know what she had inside to share with the world.

The reason she's a success is because she's a stumbler and get-back-upper. She's a hustler. 


The best thing about her is she learns from her mistakes and tries something new the next time the same situation comes up. 

My favorite take-away on failure and getting back up had to do with how Rae blew a major opportunity by trying to be a "yes-woman" instead of being true to her vision.


But when she screwed up something important, she didn't lie down, she didn't stop to beat on herself for a good long while. She felt destroyed, but she kept going.  She continued working on her projects. When another opportunity presented itself she was still prepared, even better prepared, because she had decided to be confident in her creative vision during last failure.


When the next opportunity came up, she didn't just say "yes" when people asked her to change things.  




No comments:

Post a Comment