Saturday, March 3, 2018

BLACK GIRL MAGIC COMES IN THREES FOR LUPITA N'YONGO AND DANI GURIRA

Lupita N'yongo starred in Playwright/Actress Danai Gurira's all black female cast and crewed play ECLIPSED on Broadway

Lupita and Danai starred in BLACK PANTHER together

And now Lupita N'yongo is finally making Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's book AMERICANAH into a movie. 




N'yongo first bought the rights to this book after she rose to fame in 12 YEARS A SLAVE. And I remember reading she had asked Brad Pitt to be involved in helping her get it to the big screen. After being invisible, but present in STAR WARS and being very visible in BLACK PANTHER, I'm wondering how much power she has on her own now. 

Like Lupita, I immediately knew after I read AMERICANAH that it should be a movie. Not only is the author, Adichie, a feminist that's able to give speeches that make people laugh as they learn, she wrote a complicated love story where we get to consider race and identity in Africa and especially America. 


The part of the story told through the eyes of a young college aged woman that immigrates from Nigeria to America was particularly enlightening for me. It's been a very rare thing for me to read about white america and black america from a empathetic person that is also black, female, and feminist.

In fact, I don't think I've ever had the pleasure before. 

A black feminist author's book is being made into a movie by two black feminist actresses. I just can't believe it.


http://www.revelist.com/celebrity/lupita-nyongo-father/8951/his-next-lesson-was-perhaps-the-most-important-to-always-stand-up-for-what-you-believe-in/5


No comments:

Post a Comment