Saturday, April 1, 2017

AYANDA AND THE MECHANIC, MOVIE REVIEW


A BLACK ON NETFLIX POST

This is a very small independent film. It's perfect for quiet Sunday after watching when you are braiding your hair or using a toothpick to clean some tiny part from your vacuum cleaner that's hopelessly clogged.

Or you could just watch a movie without a lot of bells and whistles.

AYANDA is a young artist that's trying to hold onto her father's memory and get her mother back to living by holding onto her father's garage. It's also about men and women and relationships; and secrets; and getting scared and getting scarred; giving up and deciding to go on; and letting go so you can see what comes next.

The thing I liked most about the movie was that everybody was flawed and complicated, capable of making choices you didn't always expect. That's just good film making. I hope I get to see what the actress, Fulu Moguvhani, does next and don't have to wait long to see it.

Mostly in English, a little subtitle reading is required.

As I recall this movie was produced by Ava DuVernay's ARRAY group production company thingy --whatever it is, it mostly devoted to putting out films by African Americans (But this movie is set in an African town I don't recognize, possibly South Africa.)

I say give AYANDA AND THE MECHANIC a shot. I'm going to give this movie 3.5 stars while knowing I might have given it more if I hadn't stopped and started it 100 times while breaking down my braids.





No comments:

Post a Comment