Tuesday, February 5, 2019

A THOUGHT ON TRAYVON'S BIRTHDAY: Random Acts Of Violence Are Never Random To the Perpetrator


Trayvon Martin probably died not know who the hell George Zimmerman was or what he wanted other than to sneak up on him and attack him. 

And when Jussie Smollet's perpertrators are caught, if they are caught, the racial and homophobic acts of violence against him will no longer be "random" either.

As for Liam Neeson almost-act of random violence?

What he should have said at the outset is this: "I was surprised to realize I was a racist. I stopped myself hunting for a black person to beat to death after a week, or God did. Then I started looking at how I was raised and why I asked her what the race of her rapist was in the first place."  


Whether Liam Neeson is a racist now or not is beside the question. He most definitely was one during the week he went looking for a "black bastard" (any "black bastard") to beat up on behalf of a friend that was raped. And if some unlucky black man had walked on Neeson on day three of his week long internal racist rampage, he'd essentially be another George Zimmerman.  

Liam Neeson is not anywhere near unique. But I wish he would be. I wish he would admit he picked up and absorbed ambient white supremacy in his family and neighborhood and nearly acted it out. This is the only admission that starts white people on the path to healing themselves as a group.

No comments:

Post a Comment