Tuesday, December 25, 2018

HAIR PSA: MOISTURIZING BLACK GIRL MAGIC FOR NATURALS

My hair loves moisture and it loves it even faster from a steamer.

A deep conditioning treatment can be done without it, but moist heat saves time. Furthermore, if my hair gets over-dry mid week because I feel asleep without doing my bedtime routine, the steam will bring the hair back to life.


So I decided I needed a hair steamer...instead of repeatedly burning myself with a clothes steamer.

The reasonably priced hair steamers I'd seen on line looked flimsy. The ones that didn't look flimsy were too expensive.  And I was getting headache just trying to imagine getting the table-top. hooded steamers at just the right height to sit under it anyway. 


So I decided to try to the famous, portable, light green hair steamer with the prongs. 
But even if you put distilled water in it, like they say, the super cheap tubing and parts inside it will get clogged anyway.  This green, portable hair steamer in question starts producing less and less steam -- by the time you've used it 4 times. But the first few times you use it? You will notice the prongs don't keep the steam far enough away from your head to stop you getting burned.
Once I deemed this popular steamer unreliable, I decided to check out facial steamers, which for most part, shouldn't get too hot.  And this is what I came up with...



I got myself a cheap but highly rated facial steamer and a rain bonnet from a local beauty supply. |

Steam rises into the rain bonnet and is trapped there long enough to moisturize your strands. All you really have to do is make sure the rain bonnet (with visor to catch the steam) is un-tied and lifted up off your skull (making room for steam)

All you have to do is keep in mind that steam rises to get your entire head. 
Sometimes the top of your head is aimed at the ceiling of the room you are in; sometimes the side of your head; and sometimes you bow your head down so the back of your head is aimed at the ceiling. 
My steamer lasts about 20 minutes. And that's plenty of time to get my entire head.  

Try it. It's way better than standing over the stove and a pot of boiling water. And the K-skin facial steamer even has a little attached lid on it for storing the rain bonnet.

Try it

You'll like it

No comments:

Post a Comment