Friday, July 6, 2018

VIOLA DAVIS KEEPS IT REAL ON COLORISM IN HOLLYWOOD

Feeling Rebloggy
“That being said, when you do see a woman of color onscreen, the paper-bag test is still very much alive and kicking.
That’s the whole racial aspect of colorism: If you are darker than a paper bag, then you are not sexy, you are not a woman, you shouldn’t be in the realm of anything that men should desire. 

And in the history of television and even in film, I’ve never seen a character like Annalise Keating played by someone who looks like me. My age, my hue, my sex. She is a woman who absolutely culminates the full spectrum of humanity our askew sexuality, our askew maternal instincts. She’s all of that, and she’s a dark-skin black woman. Some people who watch TV have acknowledged that and understand that. 
But I encourage you to search your memory and think of anyone who’s done this. It just hasn’t happened. I hear these stories from friends of mine who are dark-skin actresses who are always being seen as crack addicts and prostitutes.”
~THEWRAP.COM 
(2015)

BLaCKCHiCKRoCKeD.BLoGSPoT.CoM

No comments:

Post a Comment