Wednesday, January 30, 2019

WHAT I'VE LEARNED by Aja Monet

Aja Monet does the kind of poetry that people who don't get poetry...actually get.  Worth listening to more than once.

Race
Class
Gender
Self-Love

Interdependence

She covers it all. 


Aja Monet
Poet, Feminist, Activist




I know cloud formations
that raindrops don't fall in a teardrop shape
they originally fall in the shape of a flat oval
I don't remember where I read that
...
how to be broken and put together again


I know my arms are long

and my hands remind me of vines
I know laughter
sometimes sounds like bubble wrap
and it's my favorite part of unpacking boxes


When I smile I quint my eyes

i know men with deep diaphram laughter
and lady bugs aren't really ladies..


I know they like to follow me into subway cars

on days when I need to be reminded of magic


I know spider webs sparkle like diamonds after rainshowers

I know yestedfay is the day before tomororw
and tomrrow is an illusion where I imagine...




LISTEN TO THE REST 

          OF 

"WHAT I'VE LEARNED"



No comments:

Post a Comment