Monday, July 2, 2018

ZENDAYA ON BEING HOLLYWOOD'S ACCEPTABLE VERSION OF A BLACK GIRL

“As a black woman, as a light-skinned black woman, it’s important that I’m using my privilege, my platform to show you how much beauty there is in the African-American community,” she said. “I am Hollywood’s, I guess you could say, acceptable version of a black girl and that has to change.” “I feel a responsibility to be a voice for the beautiful shades my people come in. Unfortunately, 
I have a bit of a privilege compared to my darker sisters and brothers,” she said. ” ... Can I honestly say that I’ve had to face the same racism and struggles as a woman with darker skin? No, I cannot. I have not walked in her shoes and that is unfair of me to say. But I’m completely behind that woman. I want to be a part of the movement and growth. And if I get put in a position because of the color of my skin where people will listen to me, then I should use that privilege the right way.”
~HUFFPOST

No comments:

Post a Comment