Monday, October 23, 2017

ON JEMELE HILL'S LESS THAN TRIUMPHANT RETURN TO ESPN



Like most black folk, I don't think Jemele Hill deserved a two week suspension over two tweets ESPN didn't like on her twitter account.  


First of all, ESPN tagged her for a "second offense" when the first tweet about Trump was 
1) True. He is a white supremacist2) and within her rights as a free human being who lives in this country, no matter WHO she works for, no matter what she signed.
Trump is attacking black and brown people left and right. And those aren't so much political issues as they are personal, moral, and ethical issues... when you're on the receiving end. 
And, just like she said, in the second tweet ESPN objected to, I do think we should boycott the Cowboys after the owner quasi-unclearly-threatened to suspend players for protesting the national anthem. 

However, her getting so close to saying Boycott Football
Team X on her twitter account while working for ESPN? 
That was a step too far.

Hill's contacts and proximity to various football teams like the Cowboys came from her job. And her proximity to these teams and the industry gives her opinion weight. 

If I was in charge at ESPN, I would have called her on the carpet too -- for that all by itself. In my case, however, it because it was a first offense, not the second offense. Therefore, I wouldn't have given her a two week suspension. That's outrageous.  Maybe I'd give her a warning. Or maybe I'd giver her a one or two day suspension. 

Now some black folk want to stomp her for saying "I deserved it" and going back to work. Some are saying she copped out. 

Well, I too wish she'd have shut her mouth. She could have and should have gone back to ESPN silently -- especially since two entire weeks is unjustified. But I can't fault her for going back to her job. She wasn't 100% clean on this. And she has to pay bills like the rest of us.



No comments:

Post a Comment